Sunday, September 18, 2011

Life's An Hourglass

My Grandparents came to visit us last weekend.  They are on a 55 day trip across the US.  They live in Hawaii, so trips to the mainland are rare and they make the most of it.  It has been years since I last saw them.  It reminded me of the few times I had seen them when I was little.  They are still exactly the same as I remember them, but I have changed so much.  I'm married, have my own family now, and live in a completely different state.  It took me back to my childhood days and all of the sudden I felt old.  It was a reminder to me how quickly things change.  Sometimes my days seem to go on forever, but I know when I get older and look back it will seem like they were gone in an instant.  Funny how life is like that.  Reminds me of a line from a song - "...see the sand in my grasp, from the first to the last, every grain becomes a memory of the past.  Oh, life's an hourglass".
We had a fun time with them and I took way too many pictures (is that even possible?).  We drove up Pikes Peak.


While we were enjoying the views some people on a bike tour jumped the guard rail and walked out on the cliff to take pictures.



 Well, that was all the permission my Grandma needed before she was out there too!



John went out too. Grandpa and I stayed on safer ground.



When we got to the top there was snow!



And views.



And of course we have to get the donuts that you can only eat on top of Pikes Peak (the recipe calls requires them to be made at such a high elevation).


They don't last long.


Lil Sis loved the Cog Railroad and waved bye to it when it left (she put her hand down right when I snapped the picture).




 This sign just made me laugh!

 We also hiked around a waterfall we found last summer.


 We took them to Garden of the Gods.  I love this picture here.  While walking through the park my Grandma noticed the shadow of "kissing camels" on this rock.  I had to take a picture.



We also went to the Olympic Training Center.  Here you can see the real reason I had 5 kids...so I would be able to fill the Olympic rings for this picture!


 We walked around the gym where the gymnasts train.  I guess someone had just been training, they left their hand print on the mat.




John is trying to tie the world record for long jump - 29 and 1/2 feet.  I think he is going to make it.


We took this picture right before they left...


...and sent them off in traditional Sherwood fashion.


We had such a fun time with them.  We need to make it our goal to see them in Hawaii next time!


1 comment:

Maureen said...

Your grandparents sounds like a hoot! Your photos of your outings are always so much fun to look at! It makes me want to take you along on our next family adventure!