Thursday, November 19, 2009

Behold Your Little Ones

Do you ever have those days (please tell me that you do) where you are so DONE with being a Mom? The days where you want to pull all your hair out, lock yourself in the closet, and scream? Today was one of those days for me. I had a lot to do today, I wasn't feeling well, and the kids decided to throw every trick in the book at me. I was almost in tears by the end of the day and ready to lock my kids in their rooms until they turned 18. Then, I walked by a picture we have hanging up in our house and my heart sank. It is a picture of Christ with a child at his knee. It is a beautiful picture, and the expression on Christ's face and the child's face is one of pure love. I thought to myself, if Christ were here He would not be thinking the same thoughts about my children that I was. I had one of those stop, take a deep breath, repent, and do better moments.

I really do have the best children in the world (for me). So, I thought that instead of dwelling on the bad day we have had today that I would write the things I love most about them. Then, I can go to bed with happy thoughts. This post is really more for me, so I won't be offended if you don't want to read it.

J
He is SO smart. His mind is a little sponge. He loves to learn about everything. He does really well in school and goes above and beyond any expectations I had for him.

He is a carbon copy of his Dad. They are two peas in a pod and relate to each other in ways I don't even understand sometimes. The only thing I know for sure he got from me is his ability to memorize things. That child memorizes like crazy.

He has the best sense of humor. He is getting to that fun age where he says things that make me laugh and we can have fun conversations.

T
He is my sensitive guy. He is very aware of people's feelings and is the first to know when you are sad, sick, or just need a hug.

He is my little chef. He LOVES to help in the kitchen.

He protects and looks after his little sister the way a big brother should. He treats her with respect and I know that someday he will make some young lady very happy.

B
He has a zest for life that sometimes manifests in mischievous ways, but I love it.

His smile lights up the whole room, and melts my heart.

He is happy wherever he is (even if it is in time out). He makes any situation a positive one. I think he will be able to handle anything that life throws at him with a smile.

Baby Girl
She is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She is so charming she has us all wrapped around her finger.

She has a stubborn streak in her that flares up every now and then. I know exactly where she got it from and as I see myself in her it makes me love her all the more. I know that someday this stubborn streak will serve her well when she is faced with peer pressure. I know that once she decides to do or not to do something she will stick to it.

She brings out the softer side in all of us. Before her we had a pretty masculine house. Now it is not uncommon to hear the boys doing "girly giggles" with her or playing with her dolls or ponies with her (don't you dare tell them I said that).

Though some days are hard I really can't picture my life without my children. I think about when they get older and start to leave home and it makes me want to cry. My children teach me more about myself and my Heavenly Father than I could ever learn from anywhere else. They truly make my life and I consider myself to be one lucky person to have them.

9 comments:

Phillip & Diana Steffes said...

awwwww! You are not alone..We all get there some days. We are lucky to have our children in our lives, some days are harder to remember that though. Just wait, they'll have kids someday :)

Mel said...

I never feel that way-what are you talking about! :)

You know when they were little, I thought I had so much time with them-but it is gone in a blink and you really are crying cuz they are leaving home in 3 short years. Enjoy your time! It really does come quick.

Maryle said...

Thanks, Rachael. I feel like I've been having that day everyday for the past week, and I needed something to get me out of it. Thanks for the "kick in the butt". I need to change my attitude.

Maureen said...

Oh Rachel, you are so dear to me! I wished you would call and vent to me when you feel that way. There isn't a mother alive, no matter how she loves her children, who hasn't felt what you did. I always felt that if i could have special ordered my kids they would be perfect for me, and still I have days where I want to knock their heads together!

I choose to think that Heavenly Father feels that way at times too when he sees us acting up or not seeing what's right in front of us. But He's HEAVENLY Father and has the bigger picture which we don't. I have a picture like you do to help remind me. And give yourself credit for taking that deep breath and not actually knocking their heads together!

Dirk and Trish said...

I didn't have a horrible mom day yesterday, but that same image struck me last night. At the program, there was a mention in the narration of Christ with the children at his knee and it made me think about how much Jesus loves my child and how I can try to be more patient & more involved with her. It's a strong reminder! Glad you were able to focus on the lovable things about your kids!

Tami said...

I have days like that. It is always amazing to me how one of the kids always seems to sense something is wrong, and they give an extra hug or a thank you or say "I love you, mom" or something that reminds me that it really is all worth it!

bedelia said...

Yes, I feel like I've been having those days for about 3 weeks now. And yes I remember the squirrel incident. Do you remember when Ginney's car got towed and we called you to find out the license plate number because you memorized everything?

anyways, maybe I should write the things I like about my older boys so I won't be so cranky.

Jen said...

I think it was something in the air! My kids were driving me batty that day too, and it didn't help that I only had 4 hours of sleep! But you gotta love them when they're so adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Tara said...

I really needed that today. Thank you for this sweet post.