Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The One With Lots Of Pictures

This past weekend we headed down to Canon City to celebrate John's birthday, and to celebrate the first weekend of Spring Break. What's in Canon City you ask??

Well, the main thing is this:


The Royal Gorge Bridge. It just happens to be the highest suspension bridge in the world. I think the whole town was built around people coming to see this bridge.

It's a stinkin' long way down, and even though the whole area was fenced off I was still extremely nervous every time my kids walked up to the gate. I don't do well when it comes to my kids and heights.

While there isn't a whole lot more to the town, there were a couple museums we visited. The first was an old jail that had been turned into a museum. You could go in the old jail cells and even see the old gas chamber. Yeah, it was a little creepy.

Here's J. I almost asked if we could take one of the cells home. It might come in handy every now and then!! =)


This was inside the gas chamber. You couldn't go inside the actual chamber, thank goodness, this was creepy enough.
And, here is a chess set made out of toilet paper by one of the inmates. I can't imagine how many hours were spent making this only to have it confiscated by the guards. Makes a great display though.

We also went to the dinosaur museum there.
Here are the kids sitting on a real Apatosaurus (the dinosaur formally known as Brontosaurus) femur bone. I guess this bone was not taken care of by whoever found it which is why they let people touch it.

They had lots of cool dinosaur bones everywhere,

and they have the most complete set of Stegosaurus bones anyhwere - of course, this could have been elephant bones and I wouldn't have known the difference.

Upstairs they had a kid area where the kids could look at fossils, put bones together, watch movies, look through microscopes, and dig. My kids loved the digging part.

I'm thinking future paleontologists here.

Lil Sis loved the dinosaur blocks and puppets. I also let her dig for a little bit but she started dumping all the stuff out of the box.

We walked down the river and played in the park there.



Here is John setting an extremely bad example for the kids.


And, of course, we swam in the pool. This was probably the kids favorite part. From the moment they woke up every morning they would ask "Can we go to the pool now?"







We saw some beautiful sunsets while we were there.

And, we also saw the "World's Largest Rocking Chair". So my life feels pretty complete right now!! =)

Now I just have to find something to entertain the kids for the next two weeks. I love Spring Break!!

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Canon City is an interesting place. We went down one summer and visited Buckskin Joe's and the gorge. I wanted to go to the prison museum but we ran out of time. After seeing that picture of the tp chess set I'm really "bummed" now! Glad you and the birthday boy had a good time!

Jamie said...

Going to the Gorge was one thing on our list that we didn't get to before we moved away. I think we will have to come back to visit :) AND I just learned last week that the Brontosaurus never existed. It was seriously upsetting to me!! :) Have fun the rest of your spring break!

Mel said...

Hotel pools are the highlight of our trips too. The gorge is really pretty too. Glad you had a good time. Wish we could go somewhere .....even La Junta! :)