I have a Pinewood Derby to blog about and also two birthdays, but today I wanted to blog about this young man:
Last weekend he turned 12 and received the Priesthood. It was an emotional weekend for me and I pretty much bawled all the way through church last Sunday. I don't know why sometimes it is hard to watch them grow up. I am so very proud of the young man he is and becoming, I guess sometimes it just feels like he takes another step away from me with each milestone he hits.
Today he passed the sacrament for the first time. I was probably the only person in the whole ward who was acutely aware of each detail of the Sacrament today. I was watching him. I could tell by the way he held his head and walked a little faster than normal that he was nervous. He looked so very nice in his suit and my eyes swelled with tears as I watched him performing his first Priesthood ordinance. The Sacrament was much more meaningful to me today - not only because of my son - but because I truly listened and paid attention to each detail. I feel like this is one of those tender mercies from our Heavenly Father, that we get to experience things not only for ourself but also through our children. Sometimes this is a much more poignant way for me to learn and I realized that though he will eventually grow up and leave home, these milestones that he is reaching are not bringing us farther apart but knitting us closer together in the eternal bonds of love. I am grateful for the eternal nature of families, and for a wonderful young man who I get to call my son - and that is the best Mother's Day present I could have received today.




3 comments:
I can totally relate to this post Rachael. When my boys first passed the sacrament I wept through the sacrament more than usual, and I did it for a couple of weeks before I got control of myself. There is something so infinitely sweet when the sacrament is brought to you by your son and I agree, a tender mercy from our Lord. Congratulations to you. Indeed a Mother's Day to remember.
I know what you mean....each milestone is special and one that should be cherished. It is hard to see them move closer to that dreaded day of leaving the nest. That day is all too close for me now and it is hard every day for me now. Hang in there and have fun with it!
Jeremiah is turning 12 in June and I already tear up at the thought. Your perspective on the eternal love that grows closer with each milestone will be etched in my mind as I try to enjoy him making this step away from me! Thanks for sharing your view.
Post a Comment