Friday, November 30, 2007

A good time was had by all

I know I haven't blogged in a while. It just seems like things get so busy this time of year. It already feels like the rest of my year is gone!! So, Thanksgiving was great!!! My family was here, we had fun hanging out and talking about the "good old days". The food was fantastic (if I do say so myself) and cooking my first turkey was, well it was a little bit of a let down really. Every year I hear stories of people cooking turkeys that take forever, or the turkey doesn't defrost all the way, or it burns or something like that. Our day from a cooking standpoint was uneventful. We put the turkey in the oven in the morning estimating that it would be done by 2 and you know what??? It was done by 2. So, I don't have one of those really terrific horror stories that my family will tell for years to come, but that's okay.

We also had ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pies, rolls, green bean casserole, jello salad - all the standard fixings. John's family has this tradition where everyone gets three candy corns on their plate and they have to say three things they are thankful for. Everybody always says things like "I am thankful for my family", or "I am thankful for my health". Well, this year we had a lot of people over. By the time it was John's turn to say what he was thankful for he couldn't come up with three things that someone else hadn't already said. So, for his third thing he looked down at his plate which was empty except for the serving of green bean casserole he had placed on it earlier and said "I am thankful that I don't have to finish this nasty green bean casserole." This may sound callous and harsh, but the person who had made the casserole had already apologized for how bad it tasted. It seriously was disgusting.

The day after Thanksgiving marked a first for me. This is the first time I have ever gone shopping on Black Friday. Yes you read that right. There were somes games and movies on sale at Target that I wanted to get so I thought I would venture out. Besides being a little more crowded than usual, the stores weren't really as hectic and chaotic as I thought they would be. I didn't wake up at 3:30 in the morning though so maybe it is different then. Next year I will wake up early and go again so I can get the full experience!!

Saturday, we went to this new pizza place for lunch called NYPD Pizza. It was really good, but we ended up paying a little more for pizza than I like to. Afterwards we took turns seeing movies. The boys went to see Beowulf. I remeber reading this in high school and I didn't think it was that great so I was surprised that it was being made into a movie. Apparently Beowulf fights naked so there are a lot of shots of his backside. So if you go to see it, beware!!!! The girls went to see August Rush. It was a cute movie although I think they could have ended it better (but I think almost every movie could have a better ending).

Here are some pictures of Thanksgiving, we are a handsome bunch aren't we???


















2 comments:

bedelia said...

That's crazy seeing Adrian. I still think of him as a little kid who use to follow you around copying everything you did.

Rach said...

Yeah, he's still that way =)