Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Blame It On Facebook

I've been neglecting my blog lately. Part of it is that we have just been so busy. The other part is I found a new internet friend...Facebook. It's so easy to get on Facebook and just post a line or two about what's going on. You don't even have to post pictures. Alright, I'll say it - I love Facebook. As much as I tried to resist, it sucked me in!

Here is some of what we have been doing:

We went to Cripple Creek to take pictures of the leaves. This is the only picture I have edited.

I also took pictures on the way up. There was this really cool meadow and the sun was shining just right, so I took a picture of J. I think I need to take the vignette off this picture. Is it too dark, or is it my monitor?


John always has to climb up on something. I think he secretly wishes he was Peter Pan or Superman or some other person who can fly.

The biggest event that has happened lately is the passing of my Grandpa. He passed away last week and we attended his funeral last weekend. He suffered a major stroke last year (his second) and his health has been failing ever since. These last few months he has not been able to get out of bed, has barely been able to eat, talk, or do anything. His quality of life was so diminished that it is hard to feel too sad about his passing. I am relieved that he is free of his suffering and his health problems. He was such a good man though, and his life was quite the story of heartbreak, service, and living the gospel. Maybe some day I will do a post just about him (that wouldn't be too boring for you would it?).

This picture is the last time I saw him. This was several months after his stroke while he was still able to sit up and talk.



He served in the navy during World War II, so he got military honors at his funeral. This is the only picture I have edited so far, but I also have some of the gun salute that are neat.

I feel very blessed to have had him as my Grandpa. He was one of the best men I have ever known, and he left a wonderful legacy for his family. I am so glad I have many cherished memories of him.

5 comments:

Tara said...

First of all...I would LOVE to hear about your Grandpa! Bring on the post!

Second...I think that I'm doing the same thing with my blog. It's HARD to take the time to post something more than a one-liner! I'm right there with ya! I'm going to try and do better, though. I have lots of "catch-up" to do. It just makes it harder that way so I'm just gonna start NOW. :)

Jamie said...

I'm sorry about your Grandpa. And I know what you mean about FB - I have ADD so I like that it's so quick. Most times I end up skimming through other's blogs because I just don't have the patience to read the whole thing (but I promise I read every word of yours :))

Joseph said...

I think we should blame everything on Facebook. Did you know you can automatically import your blog posts as notes in Facebook. It isn't the one line simplicity that status updates give, but it provides another outlet to share your blog posts and amazing pictures!

Maureen said...

I agree with Tara, I would LOVE to hear any and all stories about your grandpa! I love to read those. We owe so much to his generation.

I'm glad you knew and loved him so well. And I'm glad he's no longer suffering and is with his family in heaven. I'd also love to see more pictures of this sweet man in your life. I also love the photos you posted. The one of J is precious.

Mel said...

That darn Facebook. I used to love it :( I am not sure I will ever get back on it when I get my computer working again.

Aren't memories great? I am glad you were able to be with family this past week.