Friday, October 1, 2010

All Domestic And Stuff

I've been busy lately. Really busy - taking pictures, doing my church callings, taking care of my kids, and trying (though not succeeding) to keep my house clean. It seems like I haven't had much time to spare lately.

I have also been trying to exercise and eat healthier. Lately we have been eating out WAY too much and spending WAY too much money on junk food because it's easy and quick. We had an Enrichment meeting (is that what they are calling it now?) last month that has inspired me to be better. It was all about wheat and canning. I used to make whole wheat bread for our family all the time. After this enrichment I pulled out my wheat grinder and started making bread again.

I forgot how much I like whole wheat bread. It tastes so substantial, and delicious. And it tastes so good fresh out of the oven covered with this:

I made a few batches of homemade strawberry jelly. Yum!!
I also canned for the first time ever! I have always been afraid to can because I thought for sure I would give my family botulism or something. I would picture myself in the hospital - deathly ill- cursing myself for boiling the cans for 20 minutes and not 20.2 minutes or something like that. But you know what? Canning (with a hot water bath canner) is actually pretty easy. A friend of mine came over and we knocked out 2 batches of peaches pretty quick (if you don't count the 40 minutes that each batch had to boil).

We even ate some for breakfast the other day and nobody got sick!! I don't know if I will ever buy canned peaches or pears again.
I feel good about the changes I am making for our family. My kids complained about the bread at first but now they eat it no problem. Now I'm considering making my own pasta. I don't know about this one yet, I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Maureen said...

When I was younger (your age) I used to do all this too, and I agree ... it's so much better. Try canning tomatoes too! Easy, and canned fruits and veggies just taste better. Your photos are so good I want to snarf it off the screen! Thanks for sharing with me in the midst of your busy schedule. Love you!

Maureen said...

btw ... I've done the homemade pasta in the past and it is off the charts good. I stopped because the dried stuff in the store is easier. Also, the homemade pasta takes no time to cook up. I hope you try it. You could make the sauce from scratch too!

Paul and Susan said...

Rachael, You are awesome! The bread, jelly and peaches look yummy. I am envious. There is no way I can do any canning in this tiny little trailer. This is the first year in 30 + that I haven't canned peaches. My grandkids are so lucky to have you for their Mom. Love ya.

Mel said...

Good for you. I love doing that stuff and should do it more often.