Last week we said goodbye to a good friend of mine. Her husband got a job elsewhere and they moved from three houses down to about three hours away. It's so sad saying goodbye to people. My kids have asked several times if they could call them and play. I think we're all pretending that they are just out of town for the Christmas holidays and will be coming back in a week or so. The day before she left we had a little goodbye dinner. She's the one in the light blue sweater that might kill me for posting this picture of her making a funny face. =)
We have been blessed to have such good friends. It is sad to see the "For Sale" sign in front of their house, and it will be even sadder when someone else moves in.This next thing I am recording just for me because I want to remember it. I have a whole bag of "costume jewelry" that used to be my Mom's. Big Sis and Lil Sis love to play with it. It makes me happy to see them playing with it because it reminds me of Mom. Last Sunday we were sitting in Sacrament meeting and Big Sis pulled this out of the diaper bag:
She was swirling it around and banging it on the pew. B turned to me and exclaimed "Mom, she can't do that." I asked him why and he replied "Because it was your Mom's and she is going to break it." I assured him that she wouldn't break it and it was okay for Big Sis to play with it. "Why?' he asked to which I responded "Because your Grandma loves you and it would make her happy to see you playing with her things," I said. I was distracted by one of my other children, but out of the corner of my eye I saw my sweet little boy pick up the necklace, drape it around his neck and pat it gently. He wore it the rest of the meeting. Now this little boy wouldn't be caught dead wearing a necklace, but something about this time was different. Maybe it was because I had equated Grandma's love with the necklace. I don't know. It's just a sweet moment that I always want to remember.Stay tuned for posts about our Christmas happenings!



5 comments:
oh that was sweet and she would be so happy
I have my grandma's red necklace. And I can picture my grandma letting all the grandbabies grab at that necklace. As my babies, play with it I'm so happy to see the connection between generations.
That story brought tears to my eyes. How sweet. I wish I had more things of my dad's. I try to hold on to anything I can and share it with the kids. You are doing a great job keeping your mom with you.
My mom gave my kids some of her jewelry and I love them having those items of their grandma's. She loves it too---them wanting to have them.
I didn't hear that Katie was moving! How sad for you guys. Where is she moving to? Our close friends across the street are military and they are probably moving this summer(possibly to CS!). My kids are going to be devastated. And the necklace story is too cute! What a sweetie!
Post a Comment