Friday, December 17, 2010

The House Is Decorated

Well the house is finally decorated. Not our house, this house:

We make a gingerbread house every year with the kids. It's something I remember fondly from when I was little, and the kids just love it!

This year, like the tree, I let them do almost all of it themselves. It started out that way anyway...


..until J dumped half the bag of icing on the floor. I guess I forgot to tell him you had to twist the top of the bag, and hold your hand over it. He had icing all the way down his shirt and a big pile of it on the floor. The funny thing is he didn't even notice, he looked down at his shirt in surprise when I asked him what happened.

I took over icing duty, but the kids put all the candy where they wanted it and I think it turned out pretty good.
Here is the Great Gingerbread House of 2010:



The other day I felt like such a boob (John is totally going to laugh when he reads that word) in Target. I was looking for a book for my son's school book exchange and I came across the book "Someday" by Alison Mcghee. Have you read it?

It's a Mom talking to her daughter and it starts like this: "One day I counted your fingers and kissed each one." Then goes to this: "Sometimes, when you sleep, I watch you dream, and I dream too.. And it goes through all kinds of scenarios of "somedays" that she hopes for her daughter. For example:

I dream that someday - your eyes will be filled with a joy so deep that they shine; you will run so fast and so far your heart will feel like fire; you will call a song to the wind, and the wind will carry your song away.

Then she says "Someday I will stand on this porch and watch your arms waving to me until I no longer see you." And then "Someday I will watch you brushing your child's hair." Then she ends with "Someday, a long time from now, your own hair will glow silver in the sun. And when that day comes, love, you will remember me."

I almost burst into tears in the middle of the store. I don't know why it is hitting me so hard lately that my kids are getting older and there is nothing I can do about it. My oldest is starting middle school next year, and my youngest just started crawling and it's all going just a little too fast for me. I wonder how Mom's ever let their kids go off to college, or on a mission and leave home. I'm surely not ready for that. I guess I'll just take it one day at a time and go cuddle my baby right now before she gets old enough to mind.

7 comments:

bedelia said...

I might have told this before but it is just such a vivid way of putting it for me. When I left to go to BYU, my momma was hysterical. (Ginney had gotten hitched a week or two before.) Anyway, she's bawling and you know Grandpa Amon, he turns to her and says something to the effect, "What are you crying for? This is what you raised them to do!" Isn't it funny that our "job" is to raise kids to become independent happy adults but then it is so bittersweet when they take those steps toward that.

Every year I plan on doing a house but we never do it. Maybe, I'll do it this year.

Maureen said...

Oh, Rachael, I know how you feel about that book. I had the same experience when I found Max Lucado's "Just in Case You Ever Wonder." I DID cry in the bookstore! Here's a quote: "..As you grow and change, some things will stay the same. I'll always love you. I'll always hug you. I'll always be on your side. And I want you to know that... just in case you ever wonder."


Your "house" looks wonderful! I did that with my boys until they were in high school. Enjoy the memories.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Your gingerbread house is a good combined effort, if my kids all joined to decorate one it would be Jeremiah trying to tell everyone how to do it and end up in some sort of fight...but we should try anyway. I do like the comment from bedelia aobut her Grandpa Amon...but I do think I will too be a "boob" when my kids go off for good and get married, etc. I already am.

Rach said...

I love your Grapndpa Amon, Bedelia. He's right!! I remember when Mom dropped me off at college, she went to hug me and I could see the tears welling in her eyes. I didn't want to cry too so I said "Don't go cryin now." But she did anyway, and I did too. Now that I understand her feelings a little better, I hope my kids will indulge me a little when I tear up at their leaving - such an exciting time for them and a bittersweet one for us. I know I will even though that is what I've raised them to do, and that is the way things are supposed to be.

Mel said...

I will let you know how it is in a couple years when T leaves. Not at all looking forward to it and....they are used to me crying over them, so that won't be new to them. It does come quicker than you think so go snuggle!!!

Haven't gotten to the house yet. Doubt that will happen this year...maybe we ought to do a Valentine's house instead! Looks good!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

cute title -life flies by so fast

Tara said...

Ok, now I'M bawling, too! I haven't ever heard of that book, and maybe that's a good thing. What I just read here is enough to make me wanna go wake up my kids and hugs 'em & play with 'em!! (and WHO wakes a sleeping child?!! Gasp!!)

btw... love the pics of the gingerbread house.