Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Place!

It was a really good day for J yesterday!! In his school all 5th graders are required to do a project for the Science Fair. We decided to do a project about bacteria. We picked 6 high traffic areas in the school and swabbed them, then swabbed a petri dish and let the bacteria grow! We were trying to find the dirtiest spot in the school. We swabbed a student desk, the office desk, the library, a water fountain, the boys bathroom, and the cafeteria table. Want to know which one grew the most bacteria??? It was.....drum roll please...the cafeteria table. Gross, huh?

Here he is in front of his display at the Science Fair.

A group of judges come in and look at all the projects and award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for each of the different categories: biological, physical science, commerce, and I don't remember the other one. Anyway, a few days later we got a call from the school saying that J was one of the winners and inviting us to come to the awards assembly. They didn't tell us what place he won.

We were elated when they announced his name for FIRST PLACE!! I felt like I had won too! Here is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the biological division.



He was so excited!!


Here is the whole group of winners.



Later that night, J had a hockey game. He wasn't supposed to play goalie, but the goalie didn't show. Before the game I told him (half jokingly) that I would give him $10 if he didn't let any goals in. Well that stinker got a shutout!! As soon as he got out of his pads he said "Mom you owe me money". Again, we were so proud of him. He loves hockey, he likes playing goalie, and he made some really good saves yesterday!


He looks so "cute" in his pads. Can you really say cute about a hockey player though?








After his game we had to go to Yo Yogurt to celebrate his awesome day. Of course, I would use any excuse to go to that place. Yum!


7 comments:

Maureen said...

That Blue Ribbon is SO impressive! Way to go J! And yes, you can call a hockey player cute when you're the mom! Hugs to J ... and his mom!

SandyS said...

Great job on both.

The goalie thing must just run in the Sherwood blood.

Maddy said...

That is so awesome!!! I'm totally impressed and I'm stealing his idea for Ellie's science fair project in 5th grade!

Maryle said...

Go J!!!!! What an awesome day.

Mel said...

That is awesome...thank goodness there are gross places in the school to get samples from. CONGRATS J!!! And what a stud in hockey! Keep it up!

Tami said...

I'm curious ... did the school decide to do something about their dirty cafeteria tables?! Way to Go, J!!

Paul and Susan said...

This was exciting. Congratulations. You did an awsome job on the project. We are proud. I can't believe you've gone pro in hockey already. Can you still stay in the league when you are being paid?