Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dinner Time: The Good, The Bad, The Battle Over Sausage

"Meek, humble, patient, willing to submit..."

Sometimes I don't think this scripture was talking about MY child. Take tonight for instance. B was having bad manners at the table while he was sitting there waiting for me to serve the food. I asked him twice to stop what he was doing, he didn't, so I told him to go sit on the "naughty step". He turned to me, and sharply responded "NO".

I put on my boxing gloves, gave him that "Oh no you didn't" look and round 1 began. My first instinct - yell, rant, rave, perhaps even force him on the step. But, I didn't. I told B that he would not come back to the table until he had sat on the step for 2 minutes. B didn't think I was serious and walked around the living room doing everything BUT sit on the step while I finished dinner preparations. I kept telling myself don't get upset, stick to your guns, and he will come around on his own. I didn't want to yell at him. This is something I have been trying to work on. But why, oh why, can't they just obey and do everything right and be perfect????

When we said prayer and started dishing up our food (sausage casserole if you're wondering where the sausage part comes in), B began to understand that he was getting left out of it all. I looked around a few minutes later and B was sitting on the step with his back turned to us quietly sobbing. It just about broke my heart. After two minutes were up he came and apologized and was a perfect saint for the rest of dinner.

When he wanted more juice he actually turned to me and said "Mom, may I have some more juice please?" Really? Is this the same kid I just sent to the step for having bad manners? Sometimes being a parent can be so frustrating.

7 comments:

Melissa Savage said...

Thanks for your post! I'm been feeling a little frustrated with the "not listening" my 4 year old has been doing, so it makes me feel better that I'm not a bad mom, that we all go through the same things! I'm trying harder not to yell too, so your patience is a good example to me! Don't ya love blogs?! We can all help each other even though we're hundreds of miles away!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Yes, right now I am struggling with Jeremiah. I think this move has turned him into a different kid, and it is not pretty. I am striving to find something to pull out that good kid that exist down in that body somewhere. I will see glimpses of who he used to be at times, but mostly we just get into battles almost daily. More prayer, more study, and more patience is what I need.

Robin said...

They will appreciate you teaching them good manners....Good job,you are a great mom

Maureen said...

Bless your heart for being out there and so honest! As mothers I think we all feel we're out there alone and the only ones battling our children and those urges to yell at them. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not so alone!

Tara said...

Look at that face!! How can THAT face be on a defiant child? (hear the angels singing and see the halo shining above his head)

As far as the "yelling" thing goes, I think it's been much better around here lately ONLY because of the weather being so nice and we have our windows open. I can just hear our neighbors clicking their tounges when they hear me!!! ha ha

Holly said...

You sound like Supernanny! Good for you for stickin to it! It is so sad when they're crying, and super hard not to apologize first for making them so sad, but worth it in the end when they listen!

Teeples Family said...

Oh, I am glad that we are all in this together! My three year-old can be so stubborn at times too--and then she comes around. I have to hold her to get her to stay on the naughty step...so you're one step ahead of me!