Thursday, September 4, 2008

I always knew he was gifted...

...and now it's official!!

Warning, this is a shameless bragging post about my son. So, if you don't want to hear about how totally awesome he is then stop reading now!!

Yesterday J came home with a letter from the Gifted and Talented program (know as SOAR in his school). Apparently he was recommended by his teacher to particpate in this program where they take students who are performing above averge and put them together and give them more challenging work.



Today J brought home his test scores from the beginning of the year. His scores are off the charts!! He is reading 132 words per minute, when the goal is 77 words per minute!! His math score was 2443 where 2421 is advanced and he performs on a 5th grade level(he is in 3rd grade). His reading score was 2761 where 2748 is advanced and he reads on an 8th grade level.


As a mother I always thought that J was extraordinarily gifted and exceptionally smart, but it is nice to have it confirmed by an outside source (well somewhat confirmed, I guess they didn't say he was the brightest genius they had seen in years). I am so happy for him and excited (dare I use the word pride?) that he will have the opportunity to particpate in this program.

I know I am gushing about my son, but I got all teary eyed when I was looking over his results. It brings me joy to know that he excels at some things.

7 comments:

Teeples Family said...

Good for him, and good for you! It is always great to have a reason to gush and take pride in out kids! They are amazing little people in their own unique ways, aren't they?!

Tanner sure enjoys having J in scouts and getting to know him better; he is a great kid!

Anonymous said...

That is great! SOAR is a wonderful program that he will do fabulous in. Gush all you want--we as moms deserve to brag about our awesome kids

Jamie said...

We all think our kids are brilliant but it's great that you got some outside confirmation :) I hope he enjoys SOAR!

Maureen said...

We all know are kids are smart, gifted, handsome and all that; but it sure is great when others see it too! Good for J -- here's to the first of many years of bragging rights!

swampbaby said...

Way to go, J! (And Mom!)

Maddy said...

WOO HOO!!!!! That's awesome.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

That is awesome -- Of course he is gifted, he is your son:) As a mom of gifted Children you do have a responsibility to keep them well rounded-- just keeping them engaged in life w/ other people and chatting all the time --i hope you have your answer book sharpened up for all the 'WHY' questions -- Church ,FHE, scouts ,sports,art and music seemed to work well for our GT kids --their teachers always said how di they get so well rounded and i always think it is that we spent time w/ them and when we left we had good Sitters:)-----You will have so much fun reading doing experiments --projects etc.... Oft timeds they have a focused interest that may or may not last letting them do a projject on thayt helps but encouraging thenm to brach out helps them learn how to expand their brains --enjoyment and life