Monday, December 1, 2008

I've become one of them...


I remember when I got accepted to BYU. I remember telling my church leaders the good news and they would say how much I was going to love it there. Their eyes would gloss over while they talked about all the fun I would have and then I would realize they were in an entirely different place. While we were driving around in Provo I realized I have become one of those people. I can't help it. Almost every street corner and building held a memory for me. We drove past the apartments where John and I first lived after we were married, past the hospital where one of my children was born. We drove past a restaurant where our friends told the Indian cook that his food was not spicy and the cook took his plate to the back brought it back out and watched with a satisfied expression while our friend's face turned red and tears streamed down his cheek. We drove past Stover Hall where I lived my freshmen year with my best friend, past the apartments where John and I met, past the softball field where we used to play intramurals every year...

There are so many good memories in that city. If there was a way to travel through time there are a couple of college years I would love to repeat, they were just so fun. And, I know when my kids ask me about BYU I will get all glossy eyed remembering all the fun I had.

8 comments:

Maddy said...

I love BYU too! I'm completely psycho about it. Someone asked, Who would you root for if BYU played ASU?" LIke that's even a question??? I wouldn't root for ASU if they played the U. HA HA!

Kristin said...

Oh the love of BYU is so strong. My kids don't have an option, that's were they are going to school, so I can go back and enjoy my own memories.

Leah Marie said...

I am SO that person. I'm glossy eyed right now.

Maureen said...

I do the same thing! When we went back there seven years ago, my husband and boys got SOOOO bored with my recounting of memories. It's a different environment. I'm glad you had a good time!

Jamie said...

That's the same way I feel every time we go to Logan. Lots of good memories! And I will say this just because you're a TRUE friend --- sorry, but I am a TRUE blue! hee hee.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Who needs Disney World, it is the happiest place on Earth and I am not being Sarcastic

Mel said...

DITTO! DITTO! My kids and I,including my die hard AF son, do not miss a time when we can go to BYU. There are many happy memories even though I did not meet my hubby and marry while I was there. I would repeat the last 2 years if I could--way too much fun (did I even study then?) I am a true blue alum!

Teeples Family said...

Go Cougs! We must be getting old! Provo and Orem hold lots of great memories for us too. I remember football season, and the smell of Fall in the air. There was nothing like having season tickets to the games and feeling the sun on your face!

...And playing tennis at the RB; then getting a "Brick Oven" giant M&M cookie afterwards. Those were the days!