This is the first year Baby Girl has been really interested in the activities. She opted to paint her eggs instead of dipping them in the dyes.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Why Eggs?
One thing I have never understood about Easter is how we came up with a bunny that brings eggs. Does anyone know how this came to be?? I could probably google it, but I'm too lazy. =) Even though I don't know the reason behind it, every year without fail we color Easter eggs. It's the kids favorite thing about Easter, second only to getting an Easter basket full of candy.
This is the first year Baby Girl has been really interested in the activities. She opted to paint her eggs instead of dipping them in the dyes.
What color did she choose? Pink!! I can't tell you how giddy it makes me that she loves pink and all things girly (although she can still throw a pretty good punch so don't mess with her).
This is the first year Baby Girl has been really interested in the activities. She opted to paint her eggs instead of dipping them in the dyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I asked Don the same question while our kids were doing our eggs ...
That pink egg in the box is really pretty!
In pagan springtime rituals eggs were a symbol of the rebirth of the earth. I guess because it seems a bit dead, but then a life comes out of it? Anywho, when Christians were working really hard to convert pagans they adapted some of their traditions into Christian celebrations (also the reason why the birth of Christ is celebrated in December instead of the spring) making the egg a representation of the tomb, and Christ's resurection.
Rabbits, like eggs, were also a spring symbol because of their fertility. Somewhere along the way the too traditions were combined.
Listen, I don't know why I know this stuff. I just do.
Thanks Leah!! Somehow I knew you would know the answer to that. Now I can put my mind at ease and I don't even have to google it myself!
I love eating the eggs more than coloring them, but everyone likes to do it, so of course we do it. We had some really gorgeous colors this year-very deep and pretty colors and then we also had one that turned brown. A brown Easter egg??? It looked gross, but it sure tasted good!Glad you had a good Easter!
Cute children and pretty eggs. I'm pretty sure the eggs are from some pagan ritual, but who care? They're fun to color, and who doesn't like devilled eggs and egg salad? And for the record, my kids are 18 and 20, and they still insist on coloring eggs. Good times!
Post a Comment