After Maroon Bells, we headed over to Black Canyon National Park in the Gunnison area. Oh my goodness, can we say heart attack waiting to happen? The views of the canyons are stunning, but not all of the trails are child proof. There are gates around the most dangerous parts, but there were several spots on each trail where a careless step would send you tumbling down the canyon. As I was watching my kids run, skip, and jump down the trails all I could think about was them falling 2,000 feet to the stream below. It got to the point where I would leave the younger kids in the car on some of the overlooks, because they were just not careful enough and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack watching them. Seriously it felt like alarms were going off in my body every time they jumped up on a rock. So, while this park had the most breathtaking views, it was not a lot of fun for the kids.
We had a some more of this on our trip, but not as much as at Maroon Bells.

Here are some "scenery" pictures that I took:
Even though the kids didn't get to see all of the park they still had a lot of fun playing, collecting rocks, and swimming in the pool at the hotel. Here are some pictures of the little rug rats. A lot of the pictures are of J, because he was old enough to go on all the hikes with us and not fall down.
Here are some pictures of my Dad, just to show you how close you can get to falling down the canyon


3 comments:
After seeing your pics, I DEFINITELY want to go there. Although, I would also have a serious heart attack on some of those cliffs. I can't handle seeing my kids walking anywhere near the edge. Scary!
Your pictures are AMAZING! If my kids were posing on those rocks I'd be wetting my pants -- I am so scared of heights! You are a brave mother and artist, because the shots are fabulous!
Your pictures are awesome, and it sounds like you had a great time together...but now you need a vacation from your vacation!
Post a Comment