Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter

It seems like we have been celebrating Easter for several days now. It started on Thursday when my friend threw an Easter Brunch. It was so much fun and she even provided all the materials for an Easter lesson we could do later with our family. I am so glad she went to all the work to have everyone over, because it really got me ready and in the mood for Easter.


Saturday we decorated eggs. Even Baby Girl loved coloring the eggs. She would plop the eggs down in the cup and stir it with the spoons. I caught her once using the spoon to try and eat the egg dye. Good thing I caught her in time!!



The kids also got their baskets Saturday night. This is something new we are trying. We did all the "Easter Bunny" related stuff on Saturday, and then on Sunday we do all the spiritual things. I don't know if I like them getting their baskets early. It is always so exciting for them to wake up Easter morning and see their baskets. We'll have to think about what we are going to do next year.

Saturday night we also made Easter scripture cookies (thanks for the recipe Kristeen). Each ingredient has a scripture that goes with it and talks about an event in the last week of Christ's life. After you make the dough you put it in the oven and seal the oven up like a tomb. In the morning, the cookies are done, and they are hollow in the middle just like the tomb was on Easter morning. I don't have any pictures of this, but it was really fun, definitely the beginnings of an Easter tradition (even if the kids didn't really like the taste of the cookies).

Sunday we spent the day with family eating ham, turkey, and meatloaf. John's brother had a meat loaf recipe he really wanted to try so he made it. Definitely not traditional grub, but it was surprisingly good (and I don't even really like meatloaf).

I hope your Easter celebration involved lots of family, good food, and fun!

5 comments:

Tara said...

Love the pix! Happy Easter!

Mel said...

I am glad you had a great Easter. I feel bad for my kids as Easter weekend was so busy with scouts. I feel they got the raw end of the deal. But Sunday was a nice relaxing and spiritual day with just us. It was the best.

Maddy said...

I only colored eggs with the older two -- I was way to scared to attempt it with Sadie. And I know what you mean about the holiday dragging out forever. It seems like every holiday is that way when you have little kids!

Maureen said...

The photos are great! It was a fun day. Your Easter sounds pretty great too! Even with the snow!

Teeples Family said...

I gotta say that i didn't realy like the cookies either--but making them and reading the scriptures was the best part! The hollow center was pretty cool too! Glad your Easter was great. Ours seemed better this year too; I think because we really took the time to celebrate with Christ as the center-it made a difference!