Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sassy Pants

Today, the kiddos were told to clean their rooms. Instead of cleaning like they should have been they chose to play around for hours upstairs. Honestly, they were up there all morning and I told them they couldn't come down until they were finished. In the meantime, they missed lunch. After a while they came down hungry and wanted something to eat. They were told that because they had played around instead of cleaning they had missed lunch, we were sorry they were hungry, and they would have to wait until 3:00 to get a snack. Maybe it was mean of John and I, but I get frustrated when they choose to disobey and play around instead of doing what they were told.

So, that whole paragraph was an intro to what I really wanted to blog about which was a conversation that occurred later between me and B. He came in and told me he was hungry, STARVING in fact. It wasn't 3:00 yet, so I told him he would have to wait. To distract him I started talking about other things, and I told him he was starting to need a haircut. He looked up at me and said (very emphatically):

"No, I'm STARTING to need LUNCH"

Ha! It cracked me up anyway.

4 comments:

Kari said...

I am so glad to see that my kids aren't the only ones who go and play in their rooms when they are supposed to be cleaning them! Good for you and John on holding out and making them wait.

Maureen said...

It is a universal truth that kids will find their rooms much more fascinating to play in when they need to clean then when they are bored and wanting to be entertained. I love B's comment to you. What a character!

Maddy said...

Ha ha -- I vaguely remember a Saturday like that. The kids barely got dinner that day.

Tara said...

Too funny! Could you come over and get MY kids to clean their rooms? I have a feeling we're going to have some drama tomorrow when they have to clean after school or we won't be going on a walk for Family Night!