Monday, August 10, 2009

Finally!

I don't know what it is that makes a child finally decide he is ready to do something. We have been trying to get T to ride a bike for a while, but he has always been hesitant. Today we were sitting out in the front yard and I said "T, let's ride this bike." And he did. He rode it across the front yard. I went and grabbed John who said "T, let's go ride it down the hill." And he did. We went to the park and he rode it down the hill that countless neighborhood kids have learned to ride on.

I don't know why T picked today to finally learn to ride, but you certainly can't push a child to do something. You can only wait until they are ready and then be there to support them 100%.

Here he is getting some last minute instructions from Dad. He looks like he is brimming with confidence, doesn't he?


And off he goes. He did awesome!!



He even rode the bike home from the park, and was so sad when it was time to come in for dinner. Now he can "ride bikes" with the big kids up and down our street. Way to go T!!!

While T was getting riding lessons, these two rascals were running around the park - probably terrorizing all the neighbors.



I don't know who was walking who!


3 comments:

Tara said...

Way to go T!!! I love that shot of him & John...the sign in the background signifies he's heading to new things!! (ok, cheezy-I know) So cute!

Maureen said...

I love these little milestones that come up in our children's lives. If it wouldn't scare the life out of T I'd run over there and give him a big hug. (Maybe you can do it for me!)

Kari said...

Way to go! We had the same challenges with bike riding with our oldest but now she hates to get off of it! Kids - who knows what theu are thinking!