Wednesday, August 12, 2009

One Of "Those" Moments

Last night I went to put Baby Girl to bed. Every night I lay her down, and tuck her in just right so that she can chew on the corner of her favorite blanket. I then sing her a song and whisper "I love you" as I walk out of the room. Last night I put her in her bed and started to get the blanket and she said "No. I do it." So I let her.

I came back in her room later after she was asleep and tucked her in anyway and whispered "I love you" and stared at her. And then I bawled. She is so big now, so beautiful, and so independent. She is everything I want her to be at this age, and yet last night I was craving this:

I wanted my newborn baby back. At this age I could cuddle her and kiss her to my heart's content. At this age, she was with me almost every second of the day and I loved it.

I wished for time to freeze and not change us anymore. I wished that I could stare at her in her bed like this forever and that she would always be my baby girl. I wished that her childhood would stop slipping by so fast.

*SIGH* I tell you this motherhood thing produces some of the most frustrating, the most painful, and yet some of the most beautiful moments of my life. These bonds that we have with our children are sacred and eternal, and sometimes I long for the days when we can be together in a place where time is not a factor.

9 comments:

Kari said...

I totally understan exactly what you mean. I feel that way with all of my kids at different times!

Jamie said...

I have those moments. Especially when they're sleeping :) They always seem like angels when they silent and not moving :)

Mel said...

I feel that way all the time especially now that they are older. I love to look at their scrapbooks and "remember when..." But then again, it brings tears to my eyes every time. Just a few Sunday's ago, I started to cry after witnessing T bless the sacrament for the first time and then bearing his testimony. It totally hit me that he is almost gone and what will I ever do when he goes on his mission in a few years. The house will seem way too empty.

Maddy said...

You are so right! I just look at Luke and want to cry sometimes knowing he is my last baby and I have to suck every minute up.

Maureen said...

Nothing can make your heart soar and nothing can pierce your heart like your children. I hate to tell you this, but sometimes I look at my 17 and 19 year old and crave my little guys too. I look at those old photos and just bawl my eyes out. And at the same time I feel SO blessed to have had this joy in my life. I know you feel that way too.

Tami said...

Ahh ... I know the feeling!

Tara said...

Ummm...you sound baby hungry! Should we be expecting another little branch on the Sherwood tree anytime? ha ha

Kidding...I know what you mean. I need to remember to stop and enjoy every moment NOW. I'm not gonna have these again!

Amanda said...

I know exactly how you feel! I say that all the time to my youngest - please, please STOP GROWING UP. I'm going to have a hard time next fall when she goes to Kindergarten.

Teeples Family said...

I know what you mean; so emotional isn't it? Our baby girl is now 9 months, and I find myself crying sometimes too. Motherhood is a strange and wonderful thing!