"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you"
So, for my 100th post I thought I would post the "100 people/things/events in my life that have helped me to learn something or grow in some way over the course of my life". So, take a deep breath, here we go:
My Mother
I could do a whole post on things she has taught me (mothers really do know best). From her I learned:
1. That you can overcome whatever bad things have happened to you and become something wonderful.
2. She taught me what it was to be a selfless Mother.
3. She served everyone around her without complaint or thought of herself.
4. She left a legacy of love that hopefully I will measure up to one day.
5. That sometimes a phone call is all it takes to mend a broken heart, soothe a troubled mind, and lift a fallen spirit.
6. If you can do what you are doing in front of your Mother than it must be okay.
7. That you should first use all your strength to solve your problems. But, sometimes using all your strength means asking others for help.
8. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Everyone has something to offer.
The passing away of my Mother
Though painful and sometimes very difficult to bear, it is often through our hardest trials that we learn the most. Through my Mom's early exit from this life I have learned:
9. The atonement isn't just for people who have sinned. Christ truly does understand every pain and knows how to "succor his people". He will bear our burdens and help us through our most difficult days if we let him. He will never leave us.
10. There are some things that you have to do alone. There are some days that YOU have to CHOOSE to get up when you don't want to, and to put one foot in front of the other when you don't care where you are going. Ultimately the choice lies in you and you alone to overcome, to humbly and patiently accept the Lord's will, and to press forward.
11. Families are forever. Though I have know this since I was little, I was never truly grateful for it until my Mother passed away. I KNOW that one day we will be together again and that we will be able to live in a setting that is far more enjoyable than our life together here would have been.
12. Some people are struggling to just get through the day. Always be a little kinder to people than you think is necessary.
13. There are some days when you just need to talk to your Mom.
14. In my friends words: "Some things God doesn't tell us. Some things are His to know and us to not worry about but trust that He who knows all is doing right by us."
15. It only takes a moment for your life to change forever.
16. Always tell someone you love them when you have the chance.
My Dad
17. He taught me that the Lord comes first. If you make this your philosophy, everything else will fall into place.
18. Prayer and faith go a long way.
19. He taught me to put in an honest day's work, and to work hard.
20. Snickers and chocolate milk make everything better.
21. You don't have to be related by blood to be the best Dad in the world.
John
22. Slow down, relax, and enjoy life.
23. You have to have a sense of humor. Laughter is sometimes the best medicine for the soul.
24. Everything does not have to be black or white.
25. Always give people the benefit of the doubt.
The birth of my first child
26. That no matter how much you think you are going to love your baby, nothing compares to the first time you hold your child. You know right then and there that you would do anything for this baby - that you would walk through fire, or lay down your life for theirs. I never expected those feelings to be so strong.
27. Women need other women. There are many things that men just cannot comprehend. Every girl needs another girl to lean on and talk to.
28. Mothers can still function on 2 hours of sleep.
My First son
29. That someone exactly like you can both frustrate and make you so proud at exactly the same moment.
30. Parents make mistakes
31. Children know and remember more than you give them credit for.
32. That NOTHING compares to the love of a child.
My Second son
33. That sometimes boys can be more sensitive than girls.
34. No matter how full your heart is, there is always more love to give.
My Third Son
35. One child can single handedly ruin your house and your day in a matter of five minutes
36. That same child can make it all better by smiling and saying "Love you Mom"
My daughter
37. Girls and boys are different. That is how it is supposed to be. Embrace it, don't try to suppress it.
38. Little girls are heaven's flowers.
39. One little girl can melt the hearts of 3 brothers and 1 Dad without saying a single word.
Pregnancy
40. That a body that has brought 4 children into the world is still BEAUTIFUL even though it might not look like it used to.
41. Babies are so much a part of their mothers, our identities are indelibly linked. You carry them in your body for nine months, but in your heart for a lifetime.
42. Trying to determine the difference between gas bubbles and "quickening" has never been so much fun.
My First Crush
43. That no matter how much you want to, sometimes you cannot be what other people want you to be.
44. Nothing beats the feeling of "falling in love"
45. Crushes are fun, but real love is better.
Amelia
My best friend growing up. We were pretty much inseperable. We did everything together.
46. Sometimes listening is more important than talking.
47. Being a good friend is more important than being in the spotlight.
48. Be different
49. Have fun
50. You don't have to have lots and lots of friends, all you really need is one good one.
51. Dirty Dishwater Blonde is really a hair color.
Kevin and Stephanie Petersen
Our friends in college
52. Good friends come around once in a lifetime.
53. With good friends there is no passage of time. You simply pick up where you left off no matter how long it has been since you have seen one another.
54. There are people, besides family, that I would trust with my life.
55. You don't have to have money to have a good time. A smoke bomb and a BBQ grill go a long way.
56. A "Skyline Fountain" is a beautiful thing.
57. 8 years later, there would still be little things that remind you of when you lived close and you would long for those days.
College
58. Just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you are smart.
59. You need both "book smarts" and life experiences to make you a well rounded person.
60. You can be poor, tired, studying for finals, writing a huge paper, working two jobs, and still have the time of your life.
61. Not everyone has integrity and honesty. Some people will do anything to get ahead.
62. Getting a bad grade is a whole lot better than cheating.
63. One piece of paper can represent years of dedication, hard work, sweat, tears, and lots and lots of money.
Rick and Robin Petty
A couple in my ward growing up
64. You can have a good time with the "youth" and still have boundaries and be respected.
65. Seminary teachers are not always boring.
66. Giving someone a plane ticket can make all the difference in their life.
67. Showing up at a baby shower unexpectedly can make someone's day and really make them miss you.
68. The good examples you have when you are young stick with you.
My Mother in Law
69. Accept everyone no matter who they are and what they look like.
70. Have an open mind.
71. Every problem can be solved.
72. Some people show their strength with their muscles, others show their strength by enduring to the end, and by quietly and humbly accepting the Lord's will.
My Father in Law
73. The Lord provides. He makes it interesting, but he always provides.
74. Sacred things should not be taken lightly.
Grandma Kidman
75. Poppy Seed Chicken and Canasta can bond a family for life.
76. Let your children play
77. Be fair
78. Helping someone clean up the kitchen goes a long way.
79. There are some people you love just because they are who they are, and you miss them terribly when you move away from them.
80. Be generous
Adrian
My brother
81. That the annoying brother that followed you around when you were little would turn out to be one of your best friends.
82. Sometimes you are good examples to your younger siblings, sometimes it is the other way around.
83. Tragic experiences can bond two people for life in a way that nothing else can.
Stephen
My brother
84. Having an older brother to look out for you, talk to, and joke around with is something that every girl needs.
85. Watching someone choose a different path than you can be very painful.
86. Nobody can make you feel like a kid again better than your brother.
Loosing your job
87. Be prepared
88. Save something for a rainy day.
89. Having a new born baby, no insurance, and no job is the perfect equation for stress.
90. Sometimes you have to ask for help.
91. No matter how bad things seem sometimes, everything works out.
Loss and Sorrow
92. Sometimes you don't know what you've got till it's gone.
93. "The cavity which suffering carves into our souls will one day also be the receptacle of joy."
Neil A. Maxwell
Neil A. Maxwell
94. All things will be made right and restored to us in the next life.
Dogs
95. Animals are sometimes better at showing unconditional love than humans.
96. It is nice to have something that is always excited to see you.
97. Dogs are the best secret keepers!!
Lists
98. Sometimes lists are a waste of time.
99. I should spend more time living and less time making lists of how I should live.
100. Thinking of 100 things to make a list about is hard.
Okay, so there it is. My 100th post!! Yeah for me!!



7 comments:
Nice post. I'm glad I made the cut.
Wow, I am blown away by this post. It was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your heart with us. I would love to talk with you sometime about losing your mom. I am sorry to hear you went through that pain. You are incredible.
Holy cow -- that's quite the list! Although, I refuse to read it since Kevin and Stephanie made the list and I didn't ;p Just teasing. How are Kevin and Stephanie? I think about them all the time.
And I was so sad to read that part about your mom. I had no idea.
Beautiful post, Rachael. You are a strong woman!
Wow! What a great post!
Thanks for sharing!
That was just beautiful you are a special woman.
You're an amazing woman, Rachel, and I've learned a lot from you. Point 101 -- you are a teacher and an example to those around you. Congrats on your 100th post!
Post a Comment