Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It was....Soap Poisoning

Well, yesterday I did it. I actually put soap in my kid's mouth. Let me give you a little background. For the last few weeks all I have been hearing out of B's mouth is "poopy" "poopy butt", "fart", etc. etc. Each time he says a potty word he gets a punishment. We have tried time outs, standing in the corner, making him pick up dog poop out in the yeard, and even clicking his mouth when he says something naughty. He won't stop. It doesn't help that his brothers ( and sometimes his Dad) laugh insanely whenever he throws out a good potty joke. And maybe I am being hypocritical because my brothers and I were potty humor champs growing up (someone once said if you ever want to know anything about the bathroom ask the Hewitt kids). I have been down the potty humor trail, it's not pretty. I want better for my kids. =).

Yesterday I had had enough and told B that if he said a "potty word" one more time I would put soap in his mouth. Sure enough he did, so I marched him upstairs and shoved a bar of Cascade into his mouth (which was already open because he was screaming). He hated it. I didn't leave it in for long, but it was enough for him to spit in the sink for a while and cry and give me a mean look. I felt a little bad for him, but I had to smile at the thought of him coming back years later, blind, and begging for money on the streets to proclaim that it was soap poisoning that drove him to that lowly state, and John screaming "I told you not to use the Life Boy!!" (what movie is that???)

He hasn't said a naughty word today so maybe it worked.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

I love that movie too! It's "A CHRISTMAS STORY" and I think it is so true to life. I've always found the hardest part of parenting the discipline. Wouldn't it be great if someone else could come in and do it for us??

Maddy said...

That title cracked me up!!!! My son thinks butt/pee stuff is hilarious too. ACK