Saturday, July 12, 2008

My New Strategy

Everytime we go to a store - any store - my kids walk up and down the aisle with me and hold up random things and say "Will you get this for me?" Most of the time I don't even think they want whatever it is they are holding up, they just want to buy or have something, and being kids they don't understand the value of money and hard work. Sometimes I buy them things, but most of the time I tell them no, and then get to listen to them whine up and down every other aisle. Lately I have been lecturing on the value of money and trying to help them see the difference between spending money on things we need (a cartful of groceries) and spending money on things we don't need (moon shoes). It doesn't work.

So, here is my new strategy. Every time my kiddos come to me with something they want to buy, we will look at the cost of that item and negotiate how many extra chores they will do to earn that money, and how long it will take them to get the desired object. My hope is that they will do the work necessary (and my house stays cleaner also), learn the value of hard work, and not want to waste their hard earned money on something ridiculous. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: