Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Grateful

I cannot let today pass without writing something about my Mom. It was 10 years ago today that we said goodbye to her as we attended her funeral. As you can imagine, that Thanksgivng was hard for our family. That Thanksgiving and the several following were very hard for me each year as we came upon the anniversary of her death. My Mom was my greatest supporter, my sounding board, the person I called when I was sad, happy, or needed advice. I missed her dearly then and still do now. It was hard when each of my children were born to not have her there with me. It was hard when she was not there at my brother's wedding or my oldest son's baptism. Yes, there have been hard days and sad days but I do not wish to dwell on that today.

It took many years before the grieving at Thanksgiving started to turn into a celebration of her life and the wonderful memories I had of her. Today I was thinking about some of the memories I have of her and these are a few I thought of:

We were making dinner together once and a song came on the radio and my Mom started dancing. I was a teenager and thought "My Mom is being a dork". Pretty soon though I couldn't help but laugh and soon I was dancing like a dork too.

One time I got a curling iron stuck in my hair (it was one of those curling iron brush things they used to make). I was distraught over it and was sitting on the floor almost in tears because I thought I was going to have to chop my hair off. My Mom was untangling my hair and every few minutes would turn her head to hide a chuckle. I didn't see what was so funny about it, but my Mom had a way of turning every situation into something funny.

Everytime we went somewhere - on a date, to a dance, to a school activity, etc - we would have to go into my Mom's room when we got back and report to her about how everything went. I remember several chats with her late at night about which boys I liked, how tennis was going, and how my friends were.

I could go on and on, but the last one I will share was the last time I saw her. It was for my wedding. We had many special experiences that week. A few days before my wedding we got the opportunity to go through the Mt. Timpanogos temple - me, My Mom and My Dad. When we got to the celestial room, the three of us were standing together when my Dad burst into tears. My Mom started crying also and of course I did too. They hugged me and said "You don't know how long we have been waiting for this." As I am a mother now, I comprehend better the feelings they had and what they were conveying in that statement. I am sure that when I have that opportunity with my children it will be a very sweet experience.

On my wedding day, my Mom and I were in the bridal room together and I went in to change into my dress. I came out and my Mom gasped and said "You look beautiful!!" I felt like a princess. Then she said "I never thought you would look more beautiful than me, but I guess you're allowed on your wedding day." Again, her sense of humor always made me laugh.

I am thankful that I know that families are forever. That death is not the end. I am grateful to a loving Heavenly Father who had a plan in place for me to return to him and be with my family forever. I am grateful to my Savior for his atonement that made this plan possible. Neal A Maxwell said "The cavity which suffering carves into your soul will one day be the receptacle of joy". I know that this is true and that one day I will be with my Mom again. I look forward to that glorious day.

10 comments:

Maddy said...

You know, I don't cry a lot, especially not things I read on the internet, but that was so beautiful! What a great post. Thanks for sharing it.

Mel said...

That post made me teary-eyed. My sister passed away Dec 11, 1999 and I remember how hard Christmas was that year and for many that followed. I totally understand what you are saying. She left a 17 and a 15 year old - it is hard to completely understand unless you go through it yourself. A mom would be harder I think, but still, a sister was hard enough for me. I don't even want to think about losing my mother. What wonderful memories you have. Thanks for sharing those.

Jamie said...

Way to make me start crying! And here I was feeling sorry for myself because my kids are driving me insane at the moment. You just gave me a wake up call just when I needed it! Thanks for sharing about your mom!

Tara said...

What a neat post. Thanks for sharing those memories. I am so glad to still have my mom (hopefully for many more years, but not likely). It makes me really appreciate things.

swampbaby said...

Thanks for opening up your heart to us and sharing your sweet thoughts.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

she was such a giving soul, so hard working , she loved to laugh, she was special and that shines through her beautiful only daughter

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I second the above emails. I enjoyed your post and reflections and am also teary. Thank you for helping me feel the gratitude for life and family that sometimes gets buried underneath the day to day frustrations and commotions.

Maureen said...

You have shown me how grief can change in our hearts. Brother Maxwell was right! You were so blessed to have such a wonderful mother, and I'm so happy for you.

I read something recently that said everytime we remember someone who has passed on they feel it. I'm sure your mother is feeling a warm hug from you today!

Robin said...

I was driving home tonight and I was thinking about your mom. What a wonderful person she was. I was her visiting teacher for a while and I love it. I love talking with your mom. She was quite amazing. Her wit, her love and kindness. But I know that she loved her children the most. We would often talk about kids, what we wanted for our children. I can see your mom in the temple and being so thrilled for the opportunity to be there with you. I know that brought her much joy and happiness. She may not have been there when Adrian was marriage physically but I know your mother was there, watching and loving you guys. As each of your children were born I imagine your mom kissed them and loved them. You are like your mom. Truley amazing as well.

Dirk and Trish said...

Wonderful tribute. Both my parents lost their moms when they were fairly young, (almost 20 years ago) and it's still hard for them to talk about it. I agree with Maureen that I think our loved ones know when we talk about them, and I bet your mom is proud of you for the wonderful mom you have become. I think the greatest honor we can give our parents is to love our children.