I hope you all are enjoying your Mother's Day. In honor of Mothers I am posting my two favorite quotes about Motherhood:
"Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother's image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child's mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security, her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world." ~ David O. McKay
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly." ~ Thomas S. Monson
And, now, if you will allow me a personal moment. This year Mother's Day has been hard for me. It's not usually this hard. I have been missing my Mom lately because I could really use her advice with some of my kids. I was standing in Target on Saturday and every bouquet of flowers and every card seemed to be a reminder to me that I didn't have a Mom here to send something to. I almost started bawling, which I haven't done in a long time. So instead of loosing it, I bought some flowers and thought of 10 people who have inspired me, who have helped me in some way, or that I just plain love. Today I took the flowers to those 10 people, 1 for each year that I wished I could have sent something to my Mother. I have found that the best way to cope with the grief that sometimes surfaces is to do something good in my Mother's name. She was such a giver, and I feel more like her when I am thinking of other people.
Okay, sorry if I ended that on a sad note. I didn't mean to. Happy Mother's Day, enjoy the rest of your afternoon!



10 comments:
That wasn't a sad note, that was a good reminder to the rest of us to not take our mom's for granted and a great example of how to positively work through emotions. Thanks Rachael, you are awesome!
You know what? I've been thinking a lot about you today for that reason! I was wondering how you were today. I know that you are an amazing mom...I see it in your kids! They are fantastic kids and they don't get that way without a loving mom!! What a great post to help remind me to never take my own mom for granted! I hope you've had a great day!
PS
I love that quote by David O McKay! I have never heard it before and I love it!
Thanks for the inspiration!
This is a random story. I went with Eva Joy to get my cartilage pierced. I came home and my mom called and told me that your mom had passed away. Anyways, for some reason I connected that earring with your mom. Literally, if I bumped it or switched it I always thought of your mom and missed her. Then I remember sitting in a chapel and hearing President Hinkley say that we should only wear one pair of earrings. I immediately thought, "I can't get rid of my earring, it reminds me of Rach's mom. I'll only wear that one and that's even better than a single pair...its a single one." Anyways, many years down the road. I had taken my commitment seriously and had only worn that one earring. Then in 2004, took me long enough, I had just read in Alma 37:44-46 where it talks about how easy it is to follow the Gospel. I was writing in my journal my thoughts. Of course, at first I was thinking about all the things other people do that are easy for me. Then I thought of my dumb earring and your mom. I thought to myself, "Susan would be so disappointed that I used her as an excuse." And I took out the earring because of the example your mom set for me. Anyways, I'm grateful I got to know your mom and I'm glad I'll get to see her again and thank her for helping me to see the importance of obedience no matter what our excuses. Sorry for the longest comment ever.
Not only are you a great mom you are an awsome friend. What a great way to honor your mom by handing out the flowers. You are such a great example and I am glad to have you has a friend. Happy Mother's Day!!!!
WOW, I feel lucky to have been on the receiving end of that wonderful gesture. What a great tribute to your mother and how very thoughtful, too. It is so nice to have friends to share moments with. It sounds like your day was a great one today. The homemade gifts are so special. I still have tissue flowers out in my window sill from past years. I love them.
I too see what an awesome mom you are even through cyberspace --I know your Mom would be soooo proud of the job your doing --overalland esp in the little things you appreciate in your kids. She would be so touched and humbled by your talent as a photographer: showing others the beauty of the earth and the beauty within themselves. She would say she taught you enough -- and you rose up and called her blessed by succeeding in surpassing her hopes and dreams of the beautiful woman wife and mother you have become! --I loved your Mom and learned so much from her and know what I am talking about:).
Jeremiah left a comment under the blog about J's birthday, just so you know. My cousin, Laura was wierded out because in the photo there were my kids plus my sister's and she kept thinking they were all mine, and which one had she missed.
Thank you Rachael. What a nice thing to do! I think your mother is proud of you and the great job that ou are doing in raising your own family. What better thing could you do to honor her name. You are an outstanding mom and a wonderful person.
Your post brought tears to my eyes. The quotes were so lovely.
But it was your comments about your mother that touched me profoundly. I agree, that wasn't a sad note. It was so full of love and admiration for your mother, that, like Kristeen, I KNOW she is smiling and loving you as she watches you and your sweet children.
You are an inspiration to us all. Your heart is so big and emcompasses so much! Thank you for being my friend!
Post a Comment