Sunday, February 14, 2010

Is It Bad that We Laughed?

Today at church B got a Valentine treat from his teacher - a heart shaped rice krispie treat covered with a generous amount of red frosting. To say the least he was excited about it. All the way home he carried it in his hands. He carefully got out of the van carrying it in his palm. He navigated the garage and stairs into the house. In the laundry room, he did not see his brother's shoe on the floor and tripped over it. In order to save his treat he face planted on the floor instead of dropping it to catch himself. He started to cry that he had fallen. I came in to find him face down on the floor with his arms outstretched, palms up, still holding his Valentine treat. At the expense of his face, he had saved it! Baby Girl, hearing her brother cry, came running around the corner to see what was wrong. As she came around the corner, she did not see the rice krispie treat with the red frosting. She stepped right in it (and on B's hand) with her Sunday shoes. Half of the frosting came off on her shoe. B looked up, saw the imprint in his treat and cried "Mom, she ruined my treat." I helped him up, calmed him down, and salvaged his treat the best I could. I went upstairs to change clothes.

In his closet laughing so hard that he was almost crying, was my husband. At first I thought he was being rude and callous. But, I have to admit I started to laugh too (what? we didn't laugh in front of B). Can you see the humor in it? My poor son after carefully carrying his rice krispie treat home, out of the car, through the garage and in the house. After sacrificing his face to keep the treat safe, would have it stepped on by his sister as she came around the corner to help him. Don't worry, all is well now. But I ask you, is that not funny???

6 comments:

COKE FAMILY said...

That is funny! Where's the picture?

Tara said...

I seriously have tears rolling down my cheeks, I'm laughing so hard!! I think you wrote that so well that I pictured the whole thing perfectly!! That's hilarious!!! I think I'd be with John in the closet...wait, I don't know if I'd have MADE it to the closet before losing it!! That's a great story!!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

wickedly so but I am so suprised there is no picture:0!!!! But what a sweet boy you have

Maureen said...

That is a crackup! Oh the trials of little kids, and parents trying to keep it together in front of them!

Jason&Shannon said...

I'm with the Tara girl, I think that is a time I might have laughed in front of the kid...maybe.

Kari said...

It is too funny not to laugh somewhere. WHat a story to remember for when he is older!