Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ice Festival

Last Saturday we went up to the Ice Festival in Cripple Creek. It was okay. I don't know what I was expecting, but see this picture? Yeah that was basically the whole festival (minus the heated tent that housed the martini bar).



These two girls had a nice cozy ride. Baby Girl stayed under this blanket most of the time because the first thing she did when we got there was pee her pants. Luckily I had all the kids bundled up in a thousand layers so I just had B give her one of his extra pants. Still she wasn't as warm as she would have been if she hadn't ruined her clothes.



There were lots of places to pose and take pictures.



Someone even carved an ice slide for the kids. Baby Girl LOVED it!!




In the ice maze. The reason I have lots of pictures of her and not the boys is because she stayed right next to me like a good little girl and the boys were running up and down the street like mad men!!

This sculpture was actually pretty cool. I wish I had more pictures of it. It was a huge pirate ship complete with a ghost driver, cannons, and an anchor.



Someone is all tuckered out!

See pictures of some of the sculptures here.

Since we are on the subject of ice, did you watch the ladies short program last night? I was extremely touched by Rochette's performance. If you don't know her story, her mother died unexpectedly two days before she competed. She thought about pulling out of the competition, but had said that one of her Mother's dreams was for her to be in the Olympics. She skated in honor of her mother. I think the announcer had it right when he said that sometimes it is not about the competition, but about the moment. I know it meant so much to her, and her father who was there watching her skate. I have to admit I was in tears when she broke down at the end and the camera man panned to the audience to show her father who was also in tears. Very touching.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

What a fun field trip! The pictures are adorable (as always). I love little kids bundled up for the winter for some reason...just so precious.

I too broke down when watching that young woman skate. Such poise. She honored her mother, and showed us all what a champion really is.