Most school mornings I roll myself out of bed about 15 minutes before the kids have to leave, they eat cold cereal, and I rush them out the door with their snacks and their backpacks, etc. Usually there is some grumpiness involved on my part. This morning I got up early and made the kids a nice breakfast. We all sat down together to eat.
They woke up to "love notes" and treats in our Valentine mailbox.
I went to my doctor's appointment today. I had a nice talk with him about things that have been worrying me with this pregnancy. He assured me that all was well. It really took a load off my mind.
I had to have my blood drawn in the lab in preparation for my Rhogam shot (darn blood type). I spent a good 10-15 minutes talking to the lady in the lab about my kids, her kids, pregnancy, the weather. It was nice.
I didn't even get that upset today when Baby Girl and B did this on the wall in our basement.
Instead of yelling, I gave them each a magic eraser and went to sit on the couch and ate peanut butter M&M's. After half an hour I let them stop scrubbing. Did you know that dry erase marker does NOT come off dry wall?
Before the kids came home from school, I made these cookies and put them in our mailbox. Right now the boys are happily doing their homework, and I didn't get one complaint about practicing piano.
I do have a point with this post. A lot of times a simple change in our perspective or attitude makes a world of difference. My grumpiness was spreading through our house like poison. You know the saying "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". It's so true. The Mom is the heartbeat of the home, and her temperament affects everyone. All it took from me was a little extra time this morning to do something special for my kids. It made the whole morning pleasant and consequently made my whole day more pleasant.
Hopefully I'll remember this the next time I am feeling particularly grumpy or tired.



3 comments:
I have been the grumpiest of grumps lately too, must not just be the pregnancy thing...let's blame it on winter and need some sun! Thanks for the post to remind me that I can change my perspective and the kids and I will all be happier for it.
As I have gotten older, I have found that I have PMS and that I am grumpy the week before "Aunt Martha comes to visit". The whole house has to walk on egg shells and they really don't understand why. Well.....I don't really understand either.
One new year's goal was to be better at reading the scriptures every day. I read consistantly every morning before the kids wake up and I have found that I don't get as grumpy as easily as I usually do, so that is good!
Way to go today---what a good mother to fix them a nice breakfast (my kids would rather eat cereal)
Oh my gosh, do I relate to this post! You have made me feel so much better, that it's not me that sometimes has to suck it up and get over it. Some mornings my leg hurts so bad that I just want to scream, and sometimes do--at the ones I love the most.
And how right you are, just a little adjustment, a small batch of treats, a hug and a kiss ... they all add up to a happier mom and home.
But don't be too hard on yourself. Not only do you have to keep house, take care of the kids, YOU'RE the one in charge of getting Aubrey here too! That's a lot. And you are doing a fabulous job, Rach. So give yourself a hug too!
Post a Comment