Monday, August 23, 2010

The Great Backyard Campout of 2010

Our Ward (church group) had a family camp out on Friday. We have been before and it is really fun, but I didn't think it would be so fun to take a 3 month old baby. I have been camping with a 3 month old baby (back when I was young and naive!), it wasn't fun. So we decided to do a camp out in our backyard. John slept in a tent with the four older kids and I slept inside in my nice cozy bed. I like those kind of camp outs!!

Despite his face in this picture John really was excited about the whole idea! =)



See, that's better.

We roasted hot dogs over the fire pit for dinner. We also tried roasting pineapple, it didn't turn out as well. Notice the patio door is open in the background. It stayed open pretty much the whole night despite my best efforts to keep it closed. We probably got about 10 flies in the house that night. Ugh!
John even got a picture with me in it.





There were a few funny things that happened that I want to write down. Instead of just turning his stick to roast his hot dog evenly, T would take the hot dog off his roaster, turn it and then put it back on the stick. T is also the same guy who, while we were at a bonfire a few years ago, was holding his hot dog in his hand, and roasting the wooden part of his roasting stick. Apparently we need to go over the finer points of cooking over a fire!!

J made himself dizzy walking around the fire pit trying to avoid the smoke.



Here is a not so funny thing that happened:


Big Sis touched her hot dog a little too early. She didn't get burned that bad, she is crying more because I am taking a picture of her than because she is hurt.



J thought the pineapples were good!


My pyro side came out as I was taking pictures. Seriously, as I was going through the pictures I probably had 20 or so of just the fire. I like fire, it is mesmerizing.




Pretty.


Then we busted out these bad boys and really got down to business.



The boys were getting a little slap happy by this point.




They like their marshmallows a little more "well done" than I do.



I don't have any pictures of them in their tent because by the time it was all set up it was wayyyy to dark to see anything. The kids got up with the sun the next morning, but I didn't hear a thing up in my bedroom. It was nice. I can't wait for the next backyard camp out!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

What fun this looks like. I love campfires too, all by themselves. But when you toss S'MORES into the game then you just rocked it out of the park! Where were the pix of the kids covered in melted chocolate and marshmallow goo???

Mel said...

Yea, we missed you at the ward campout. It was fun as usual. Those campouts in the backyard are sure fun though. Glad you had a good time.