Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stuff

I've been thinking lately. It's a dangerous thing, I know. I've been thinking about my little baby. She has thrown me for quite a loop lately - and she is a fantastic baby. I've just had trouble getting into a routine and finding time to get things done, and I've been feeling a little overwhelmed caring for 5 children. Sometimes I stop and ask myself "Why did I have 5 children again??"

Before I was pregnant with Lil Sis I had been tossing the idea of having another child around for a long time. I didn't think I could handle it, but I had the distinct impression that we had another child waiting - and waiting not to come to any family, but OUR family. I knew that she had blessings to bring, and that she would complete our family in her own unique way. So, when I get discouraged with my mothering skills I try to think of something I am learning from her.

Today it is love - unconditional love. Every morning I am greeted by this face


In fact, every time she sees me I get this smile. She gives this smile to everyone that talks to her. She doesn't care what you look like, who your friends are, how much money you have, etc. She loves everyone. Right now she is teaching me to love without restraint or judgement and to love unconditionally.

There is a line from one of my favorite songs (right now) that says "My imagination sees you like a painting by Van Gogh. Starry nights and brightsome flowers follow you where you may go." I can't help but think that is the way she sees everyone. And if she can do it, why can't I?

7 comments:

Tara said...

Oh I am SO glad that I have been able to receive some of those smiles, too! She is such a sweetie!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Aw I like it when you think -- I think your sentiments are just so poignant -- infants have so much to teach us about the world and about ourselves --what a sweet greeting to receive and sharing that love w/others is so much easier when you are receiving it as well esp by one as sweet as she is

Maureen said...

Oh Rachel, your post brought tears to my eyes. There is such a big heart inside of you. You are just like your baby! You see everyone for who they are on the inside. At least, you do that for me. You have passed that on to her. She's going to be a remarkable woman, just like her mom ......

Kelly(M&M) said...

I know I don't comment enough, but I couldn't leave this one without saying thanks. You are so inspiring and uplifting. I needed this post today. I go back and forth on whether or not I am ready for more children or for the unknown again (fertility issues.) The easier route seems to be to stay where I am with my 3 kids. But reading your post reminds me what is so amazing about children and what a change of perspective can do. I love learning about your family through blogging. Wish we lived closer because I know you would help me to be a better mom. Thanks for sharing. Love you!! And, what a beautiful baby girl.

Jamie said...

She's a little sweetie! There's a reason why moms tell their kids "it's a good thing you're cute!" It's good to hear from other moms about those frustrating times so we know we're normal and also realize that those small wonderful moments make it all worth it!

Robin said...

Your kiddos are so cute. They do grow up fast. Enjoy every minute of it. I am thankful to be a mohter. For that blessing. With that comes the being tired, overwhelmed and mounds of laundry. But there is not greater joy tham hearing your children praying or saying I love you. Giving you a hug, that last hug out the door. Each one is unique and special. Just like their mother (and of course father as well.) Thanks for sharing with us.

Ashley Tremaine said...

She is such a doll baby!! Your post is something I struggle with daily...and you have one more than me!! Some days are so overwhelming, but then that little face smiles and you melt!!