When Baby Girl was younger I felt like all I did all day was sit on the couch and nurse her. I felt like that with all my kids at first but Baby Girl was different. She was happy to nurse all day every day. She wanted the snuggling and cuddling more than the nourishment and some days I wished she would take a bottle or a pacifier so I could get stuff done.
These days she is busy exploring and getting into things and she doesn't like to snuggle as much - mostly when she wakes up in the morning or is tired or hurt.
Today all her sippy cups were dirty so I put milk in a bottle and gave it to her. She brought me the bottle and I picked her up and she nestled her head in the bend of my elbow like she used to do when she nursed and snuggled with me for a good ten minutes. I watched her sweet peaceful face and thought to myself, "Why did I ever wish these days away?" "Why oh why did I ever want to wash the dishes, fold a load of laundry, or pick up the living room instead of snuggle with my baby?"
Not a good picture of me, haven't showered yet today.
Funny how a little perspective changes things.



4 comments:
Thanks, I needed that today.
When my kids were little, Stan gave me a framed poem to remind me of just this very thing. It said, in part, "Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow, so go away cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
Love you and your sweet heart, Rachel. Thanks for the reminder of what's important!
I have to completely agree...
Awwww, now I want a baby!
Post a Comment